What are the Reasons People Buy Online?
You have an online store or some kind of online e-commence and want to get ready to sell your product. Understanding why people buy online is critical for anyone striving to make money selling online.
Not only does it make shaping your sales materials much easier, you’ll also have a leg up when it comes to how to spend money on advertising.
It may seem obvious to you why people would opt to make their purchases online. But you’ll be surprised at some of the top reasons people indicate they make the decision to buy online.
So let’s walk through some of the basics you need to consider if you want your online store to succeed.
7 Top reasons why people buy online
- Generally, a far wider selection and choice – Most online shops carry a far wider selection of goods available for purchase than a brick and mortar store is able to display within their walls.
- People like to read reviews from other buyers – Absent having a friend who’s bought the item in question, people will search for whomever they can find for an opinion on the product, as long as it’s not from the company itself.
- No sales pressure in online shopping – How many times have you been in a store and the sales associate follows you around; sometimes at a distance, sometimes not so much! When you ahop online, there isn’t anyone following you around as you take your time perusing the selection. Sure, it can be disheartening when you can’t find the product in your favorite color, then the floor assistant may also convince you for a different color to increase store sales. But overall, online shopping removes the pressure to buy something when a pushy sales associate won’t leave you alone. Granted, there is a little thing called Retargeted Marketing but that’s a conversation for another day.
- Can you say “Free shipping” – Who hasn’t added one more inexpensive thing to their cart to get free shipping?! Come on, you can admit it; I certainly have. This is one of the top reasons why people buy online, which at first glance makes little sense. I mean, if you went out and got it, there’s be NO shipping! But still, this ranks as a top reason for buying online
- No Crowd and POS Queue – First off, POS aka point of sale or point of purchase is the time and place where a retail transaction is completed. Most people aren’t big fans of crowds and don’t want to wait in line. Online shopping allows you (most of the time) to avoid crowds and waiting to ring up your purchase. And if it is a high shopping season, parking is always a nightmare!
- Easy return process – Face it, you might not like it. And if one trip outside the house was too much, imagine how much you’ll hate two! Having a rock solid guarantee and easy return process is a big factor for people choosing to buy online.
- Convenience is a huge reason people buy online – From the comfort of your own home, you can visit as many stores as you need to find the product(s) that you are looking for. Also gas prices lately are crazy so why spend extra money to get to the store! Did you know that 40% of shoppers believe it saves their time, and it is why people buy online.
~ Make it easy for your visitors to buy from you! ~
While there are certainly many factors unique to your buyer persona, these 6 reasons people buy online should be considered by every e-commence store regardless of your product. They will give you a solid foundation to build upon.
Book Your Free Consultation Today
Founder & CEO of ThinkFlame, Shelly Patrick, trains individuals and companies to understand how their marketing affects their sales conversation and how to integrate marketing into their yearly plans for consistent growth.